Faster way to serve up simple requests?

Sergio Salvatore sergiosalvatore at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 11:59:39 PDT 2005

Hey,

Just a thought that memcached is simply a cache -- not
really a database.  Although PHP + Apache can be
expensive for a simple static serve up you need to
have a way to generate the content in case of a cache
miss (or the machine running memcached being
inaccessable).

Using a ramdisk type filesystem (like tmpfs) is
certainly an option, but it's not very efficient in a
clustered environment because the filesystem is not
shared across web serving nodes.  This is where
memcache is particularly good because everything is
balanced and available to all machines in the cluster
-- making the best use of available space.

/sergio

--- Jamie Burns <fantasticjamieburns at hotmail.com>