Memcached "squeezed" out of memory?

Joel Lee e.sol at verizon.net
Tue Jul 26 17:13:01 PDT 2005

Greetings..

I'm running memcached 1.1.12 with libevent 1.1a on an RHEL4 box (uses a 2.6 linux kernel).  I've varified that this installation is using epoll.

What I notice happening is that memcached will suddenly stop working and as it does so, it's share of resident memory steadily decreases--almost as if it's being "squeezed out" of memory.  I'm not sure if that is actually what is happening, memory wise, but that is what seems most remarkable to me.

I can cure this by restarting memcached and apache.  It will then work fine again... typically for a couple of days or so, until another such incident will occur.

Here is the line I use to start memcached:

./memcached -d -p 9008 -m 512 -l 127.0.0.1

I have 2GB of system memory on this machine.

Any ideas, or methods for collecting additional information I could post?

Thanks for any help.

Joel