Lazy Garbage Collection Question

Adam Hiatt adam.hiatt at cnet.com
Sun Apr 30 00:32:24 UTC 2006

I've noticed a couple threads in the mailing list archives with
questions concerning the lazy garbage collection for expiring
entries. One user attempted to write a 'reaper' agent that
specifically cleaned up their cache. Now this clearly should not be
necessary, but from what I read it appears that they felt that it was
critical because the memcached processes kept using memory until it
had to swap to disk. I wasn't able to determine this from the
threads, so, is the consensus that these deployments of memcached are
configured to use more memory than the system will provide to it and
that when the configured level is approached the OS is forced to swap
to disk? Or, is there some actual problem that prevents deallocation
and causes memory leaks force these swaps. I am concerned because I
am looking into using memcached in a production environment and on at
least one of the threads I referenced, I noticed that the
administrators had to restart the boxes every couple of days or so.