Lazy Garbage Collection Question

Philip Neustrom philipn at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 04:34:11 UTC 2006

The reaper was necessary because of the server fall-back implemented
in memcached clients.  The individual wanted a safe way to reset a
bunch of machines' caches without worrying about machine X's items
falling to machine Y and then machine X coming back online, receiving
the items and having the items in both X and Y -- which can lead to
out-of-date items being served up.  Realistically it shouldn't be a
problem because you can usually set clients up (no fall-back
temporarily, things like that) so that a restart across a bunch of
servers all at once is possible without a chance for corruption.

--Philip Neustrom