Memory Ceiling

Brett Richter brett at gawker.com
Wed Aug 9 18:35:20 UTC 2006

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but we seem to be
running up against a memory ceiling on memcached.  We use it to cache
dynamic content of our website.  No matter how high I set the memory
limit in the conf file it never goes higher than 700mb (give or
take).  We definitely need more than that as any hit that doesn't hit
the cache is going to the database and its getting overwhelmed at times.

A bit about our setup. We have 3 servers running memcached, both set
to 1024mb memory.  It seems that it's really only using 1 server
right now (looking into why its not using the pool of 3), so I really
need to get one up to like 3gb till we can look at the code and see
why its not using the memcache pool better (or at all).

Systems are Debian Stable 64 using one of their packaged memcached
installs version 1.1.12-1 of memcache

Sorry if this seems cryptic of not enough detail I'm the sysadmin not
the developer of the back end content manager.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!