expiration override when rehashing servers?

matt DiMeo mattdimeo at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 23:35:18 UTC 2006

It occurs to me that it might be useful to be able to tell a client that, when a memcached host is down and rehashing is active, it should override the expiration date to now + n seconds for any rehashed writes.

That would provide a comprimise between maximum cache correctness (where rehashing is disabled) and minimal impact on the database.

If your backing database would have trouble handling 1/Nth of your cache servers going down, you could get the benefits of rehashing while still knowing that nothing will be more than, say, five minutes stale.

Good idea?  Terrible idea?

-m@