Perl Client

Jacques Caron jc at oxado.com
Mon Jul 3 10:00:12 UTC 2006

Hi,

At 22:47 02/07/2006, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
>There are some slow paths in parsing that could be sped up, for sure, but
>most attempts to make it faster have thrown out the baby with the
>bathwater: they're really fast but don't handle any of the error
>conditions, some not even doing multi-server support.
>
>Artur started writing the parsing in XS recently, but got sidetracked.

We have a version using libmemcached that we have been using in
production for a little while with great success (it did decrease CPU
usage quite considerably when compared to the pure-Perl client). One
drawback was the fact that libmemcached uses multiple servers
sequentially, which did increase latency quite considerably, but we
fixed that recently.

I just uploaded the module (Cache::Memcached::XS) to CPAN, you'll find it here:

http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/J/JC/JCARON/Cache-Memcached-XS-0.01.tar.gz

It's my first attempt at XS or at packaging a module for CPAN, so any
feedback is welcome!

I've sent the patch for libmemcache to Sean, let me know if you want
to test it before it gets into a release.

Jacques.