Confused on scaling memcached & persistant connections (w/ the PECL client)

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Sat Mar 11 01:59:09 UTC 2006

Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2006, at 9:55, Richard Thomas wrote:
>
>> This way you could get away with fewer connections overall to the
>> Memcache server?
>
> This makes no sense.
>
> memcached is built to handle many connections.   If you are running it
> correctly configured in an appropriate environment (epoll, kqueue), then
> it'll work fine.

Thanks, Ask, you beat me.  I accidentally replied off-list saying:

"What's all this talk about reducing connections?  With epoll/kqueue you
can get a ridiculous number of connections.  How's a proxy daemon going
to help at all?  Then your proxy daemon is going to have a ridiculous
number of connections (which is no problem, if you use epoll/kqueue in
the proxy daemon), but now you have latency increases."

- Brad