Fwd: Memcached Connection Time

Steven Grimm sgrimm at facebook.com
Fri May 5 15:38:54 UTC 2006

Every time we've seen a problem like that, it's turned out to be a
faulty switch or a similar network-level problem, not a problem with
memcached. Try testing for packet loss between your Web servers and your
memcached servers when you see the problem happening.

If that's not it, you'll need to tell us a bit more. How many Web
servers? How many memcached servers? How are they connected? (Network
speed and topology.) Do you see the problem on all your memcached
servers or just some of them? At all times of day or just during periods
of peak load? What kind of hardware is everything running on? Which
operating system? What's the CPU idle time on the machines in question?

-Steve