Is memcached a good way to store session share ammong web servers?

Peter Bengtson peter at peterbengtson.com
Mon Nov 13 10:51:39 UTC 2006

You are comparing apples to oranges here. There is nothing to prevent
you from setting up memcache with enough memory to support many
millions of simultaneous sessions, even using a single memcache
instance. True, if someone were to switch off the box running the
sessions memcache store, users would be logged out and would have to
log in again. But you can get around that by using several memcache
instances. Also, the same problem applies to any solution: if your
session storage disks become full, for instance, or if your load
balancer suddenly crashed. There will always be vulnerable spots.

In the end, it is a question of speed: memcache has almost no
overhead. If that is what you need, go with memcache. If the overhead
is not so important, it might be ok to use a disk-based cached
solution. In other words, exactly the considerations we are familiar
with from our classes in computer science.

But memcache can, has been and is used to store sessions very
successfully on large systems, where disk-based solutions have been
found to become too slow.