Strange return codes from PHP memcache set functions

Anthony Volodkin anthonyv at brainlink.com
Tue Nov 14 01:30:03 UTC 2006

Hi,

Running memcached 1.2 on a set of FreeBSD 4.10, 5.4, 5.5 machines.  Using
Apache 2.2.3 with PHP 5.1.6 and pecl-memcache 2.1.0.

As per the docs, a lot of my code is similar to:

$memcache->set(md5($variable), $data, false, 7200) or error_log ("Failed to set data at the server");

While reviewing my error logs, I found tons of these errors.  Oddly, my
application has been working fairly well (with cache).

I've went further and captured some memcached traffic (ngrep -s 128 "" src
port 11211) on one of my web servers and found no error "ERR" responses,
but mostly "STORED" and "NOT FOUND", which is healthy.

How can I further troubleshoot this?  While things are generally working,
this really doesn't seem right.

Thanks,

Anthony Volodkin