multithreaded version of memcached on solaris?

Steven Grimm sgrimm at facebook.com
Mon Nov 27 07:28:09 UTC 2006

For the moment the multithreading support is only available in the
memcached Subversion repository, where it lives in its own branch. If you do

svn co http://code.sixapart.com/svn/memcached/branches/multithreaded

you'll get it. I have compiled it using the latest Sun Studio Express
preview release compiler on Linux, but I haven't tried it on Solaris
yet. No reason it shouldn't work, though; it uses the standard POSIX
thread APIs which are well-supported under Solaris. Note that you have
to run the configure script with an "--enable-threads" argument to turn
on thread support. (And when you check it out from Subversion, you'll
need to run autogen.sh to create the configure script.)

This is still brand-new code; it was just checked into Subversion in the
last week. At Facebook we are running it on many of our production
servers under heavy load and it appears stable, but it is possible that
there are bugs that aren't exposed by our application's usage patterns.
So it's probably a good idea to run it in a test environment before
deploying it to any production servers. If you run into any problems
with it, please email the memcached list with the details so they can be
addressed.

Actually, please let us know if you run it and *don't* run into any
problems -- success reports are important too.

-Steve