memcached "backends" (was Re: Simple questions from memcachednewbie)

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Thu Oct 12 08:51:08 UTC 2006

On 12 Oct 2006, at 06:29, Jeetendra Mirchandani wrote:

> Tugela actually replaces the in-memory store with BDB
> Ideally i would just want a transactional BDB as a backing store, and
> still have the usual memcached

Wouldn't sharedance (http://sharedance.pureftpd.org/) achieve much
the same thing? Though it's not related to memcache, it effectively
does the same thing, but replaces the in-memory store with regular
file storage. The only thing I'd like on sharedance would be its own
RAM cache over the top of its file-based storage. The author suggests
storing it on a RAM-based file system, but that loses you the main
advantages of sharedance (unlimited capacity, better persistence) -
you may as well be using memcache.

All these things seem so similar, it's a wonder that we don't see a
hybrid solution with pluggable back-ends.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
marcus at synchromedia.co.uk | http://www.synchromedia.co.uk/