Add function slabs_reclaim() to reclaim free slabs positively

Henry Lu henrylu21 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 02:46:11 UTC 2006

Hi Brad:

I think the following is the detail :)

/memcached-1.1.12/doc/memory_management.txt

'In general, if your system starts producing a different pattern of common
object sizes, the memcached servers will become less efficient, unless
you restart them. Slabs reassignment, which is the next feature being
worked on, will ensure the server's ability to reclaim a slab (1Mb of
memory) from one size  class and put it into another class size, where
it's needed more.'

For example, when you insert blocks of 8k into memcached,
and make it full, after a while, a large number of items of 8k expired,
and some slabs in 8k clsid got free.
At that time, I am trying to insert a block of 16k, it fails with 'out of
memory'.
Actually the free slabs contain items of 8k cannot be moved from 8k clsid to
16 clsid.

So I make a 'global_free_slab_list' to contain all free slabs by runing
'slabs_reclaim()' every 5 seconds.

Thanks,
Henry