memcache - best practice

timeless time at digg.com
Fri Sep 15 18:48:20 UTC 2006

Marcus Bointon wrote:

>> If I have an object that I regenerate every 15 seconds, is that object
>> worth caching or do the process of caching take more power that I will
>> benefit from the cache object?
>
> That should be a simple calculation.

Indeed. To illustrate one extreme, we have objects at Digg that expire
at 10 seconds, which is a huge win, since it takes sometimes 2 seconds
to generate that information, and it's asked for hundreds of times per
second. Simple math proves out the necessity of caching that object for
even 10 seconds.

When we were first rolling out Memcached, there were some objects that
expired after 5 seconds, and it was still a big win.

--
timeless