Any issues with pipelining requests?

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Wed Apr 18 06:45:51 UTC 2007

	I made a change to my java memcached library over the weekend to
support pipelining requests.  In a few ways this simplified my code,
but it was a rather large performance gain.

	In the ``300,000 26-byte sets'' benchmark that came up last week, I
found that my java client took about 30s to perform all of the same
sets, but it took 5 or 6 seconds for netcat to do the same on the
same box given pre-computed chunk of sets.

	With pipelining, my java client did the same sets in 15s -- 3x
slower than what I'd consider ``as fast as possible'' or 2x faster
than my pre-pipeline state.  I'm pretty happy with that since that
was pre-profiling.

	However, I was just reading on the twisted list that there may be a
problem sending requests without waiting for the results.  I am
receiving and processing results roughly as fast as they can come
over the wire if that makes a difference.  I just don't wait to
process a response before sending the next request.

	Are there any potential problems with this?

--
Dustin Sallings