about 2G memory problem and connection memory usage

Steve Chu stvchu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 10:45:27 UTC 2007

There is a limit that we only can do "-m 2048" in a 32bit box.

Here's my situation:
I dig into memcached's source code, and find that memcached is using
malloc to get memory for connection structure, and slabs for
items(objects). when we reach the 2G limit, so there's no more memory
for connection structures available, and we can't connect mcd any
more.

Is there a need that we set "-m 1800", so we leave 248MB for
connections. so, when the memcached reaches limit(here 1800) and
starts to free items, we still can connect to it?

Is -m option for slabs not for malloc?

--
Steve Chu
http://stvchu.org