Regarding Consistent Hashing....

Ajinkya Nahar ajinkya at truesparrow.com
Thu Aug 30 05:35:02 UTC 2007

Thanks for your quick response on this.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mikael Johansson [mailto:mikael at synd.info]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:03 AM
To: Ajinkya Nahar
Cc: memcached at lists.danga.com; sunil at truesparrow.com; 'Nishith Shah'
Subject: Re: Regarding Consistent Hashing....

Hi,

I believe there's already people using consistent hashing on large
installs out there. As to the pecl/memcache client the code is not
released and still in CVS, but it is stable (and certainly ready to be
evaluated/tested), also a release is coming up so you can either wait
for that or build from source like

 cvs -d :pserver:cvsread at cvs.php.net:/repository checkout pecl/memcache
 cd pecl/memcache
 phpize
 ./configure
 make && make install

Enable it by setting an php.ini entry like

 memcache.hash_strategy = consistent

Please note that the consistent hashing implementation might still
change in the future when a standard is reached on the subject.

//Mikael