Regarding Consistent Hashing....

Ajinkya Nahar ajinkya at truesparrow.com
Thu Aug 30 06:03:53 UTC 2007

Hi,

Basically, we are using Amazon's EC2 servers as memcached servers.

So as and when we see an increase in traffic/load, we expect to add more EC2
servers to the memcached cloud. And when the traffic/load subsides (lets say
after a week or so), we might remove a few servers from the cloud.

In such a scenario, if using normal hashing, I believe we would have to
flush everything when adding/removing memcached servers.

Do you think doing this might cause the system to go in a spin and might be
a risky proposition, and so we should rather consider using consistent
hashing?

Or do you think this is not a big deal and we should rather use the regular
hashing (which is more stable)?

Please let me know your comments on this.

Regards,

Ajinkya