Keys larger that 250

Tim Bunce Tim.Bunce at pobox.com
Thu Dec 13 23:35:10 UTC 2007

My 'natural' keys are generally 400 to 900 bytes.

I'd like to avoid having to pay the price of either
a) creating a good digest (MD5) each time, or
b) using a poor digest and including a copy of the full key inside the
value (so it can be checked when fetched).

I was surprised that memcached doesn't offer a command like option to
support larger key sizes.

The image of the binary protocol[1] shows "keylen 3".  Does than mean
three bytes will be used to store the keylen in the binary protocol?

Tim.

[1] http://code.sixapart.com/svn/memcached/trunk/server/doc/binary-protocol-plan.jpg