Binary protocol document as of 3:05AM at Yahoo's hackathon

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Sat Dec 15 20:13:21 UTC 2007

   It's a semantic difference.  We want to have as few semantic
differences as possible.  We *did* add a couple if items that were
available elsewhere in the text protocol in ways that were redundant,
but they don't add functionality.

   In the end, we'd like to avoid telling people they get some feature
with one protocol, but not the other.

   The right thing to do here might be to add a getattr call and a
corresponding "touch" command to update flag and expiration.

   I'm still not convinced knowing the expiration time is all that
useful in general.  Data may still be overwritten, deleted, or
modified independently of the TTL, and it's not guaranteed to last
that long.  Without positive confirmation of invalidation cmfeom the
server's point of view, you'll end up with all kinds of cache
consistency problems.

--
Dustin Sallings (mobile)