Implementing Memcached on EC2

Erik Osterman e at osterman.com
Sun Jan 7 22:45:02 UTC 2007

David Phillips wrote:
> Have you looked at functions like AuthorizeSecurityGroupIngress?

I've been using the ability to authorize a subnet/ip, but I was unaware
of the ability to create something like a vlan. Thanks for the tip. I
checked it out and this should work very well! So, please disregard my
request for authorization functionality in Memcached.

>> Discovery is a big issue in general with EC2.
>
> How about calling DescribeInstances?
Clearly, we're aware of this functionality; however, DescribeInstances
simply lists the operating state of all instances
(terminated/pending/running) it cannot convey any interal/application
state. So, an instance might very well be running, but not be
operational, which would require additional exploration/discovery. More
over, DescribeInstances works in a polling fashion, which means to get
frequently updated stats, we'd have to abuse their API, in addition to
polling each instance for it's current run time status. Event based
notification has been discussed on the ec2 forums, but is probably a
ways away from getting released. Thus, having instances themselves
notify our management server seems to be the most effective way of
efficiently keeping a tally on what's truly available/operational and
what's not.

Appreciated your feedback... sorry to everyone else for this drifting
somewhat OT.

Regards,

Erik Osterman