MemCached Non-Traditional Usage?

Matthew Glubb matt at zgroupplc.com
Wed Mar 21 08:43:21 UTC 2007

Hi Geoffrey,

I am currently using memcached in a non-traditional manner. It acts
as a directory that stores information in order to route data to
different listening sockets on a cluster of servers. Again, for me
the data is completely transient, and, in the event of a failure to
locate a key within the cache, is self-repairing.

So far I have had no problems whatsoever. For me, the area that was
most important to focus on in the application was ensuring atomicity
through the use of a locking mechanisms and semaphores.

Go for it!

Matt

On 21 Mar 2007, at 03:40, Geoffrey Mina wrote:

> Hello,
> I am currently evaluating memcached for a non-traditional
> application.  It
> seems like the core functionality of memcached is to help reduce
> the number
> of database reads that are required for read-heavy web
> applications.  I am
> looking to implement memcached in totally different environment, and
> wondering if I am understanding the software correctly.
>
> I am hoping to implement this as a solution for a telephony
> platform.  I
> have a cluster of servers which need to share information with each
> other.
> I am looking to store information into memcached with server 1 and
> retrieve
> it with server 2... no database involved at any point.  The data
> that would
> be existing in cache would be true transient data that would exist for
> seconds or minutes and then would be flushed from the shared memory/
> cache.
>
> If I have 3 memcached servers and 10 telephony servers running the
> client
> API (connecting to all 3), would they freely share information with
> each
> other... or do I have this whole thing wrong?
>
> Thanks In Advance!
> Geoff

m a t t h e w   g l u b b

Z Group PLC

Tel: +44 (0) 8700 111 173
Fax: +44 (0) 8707 051 393
Txt: +44 (0) 7800 140 877
Web: <http://www.zgroupplc.com/>

This  email  and  any  files  transmitted  with it are  confidential and
addressed.  The opinions  expressed in this mail are those of the author
and do not necessarily  represent the views of the company.  If you have
received this email in error please notify <service at zgroupplc.com>