MemCached Non-Traditional Usage?

Jure Petrovic fonz at siol.net
Wed Mar 21 08:38:22 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 23:40 -0400, Geoffrey Mina wrote:

> I am hoping to implement this as a solution for a telephony platform.
> I have a cluster of servers which need to share information with each
> other.   I am looking to store information into memcached with server
> 1 and retrieve it with server 2... no database involved at any point.
> The data that would be existing in cache would be true transient data
> that would exist for seconds or minutes and then would be flushed from
> the shared memory/cache.
>
> If I have 3 memcached servers and 10 telephony servers running the
> client API (connecting to all 3), would they freely share information
> with each other... or do I have this whole thing wrong?

I think this shouldn't be a problem.

I am using memcached as an object share between three computers.
The application is pretty specific, but basically one machine always
writes objects that other two machines need. So, one machine does
"puts" and the other two machines do "gets". Of course, the machine
that does writes runs memcached locally.

I am using C library and the thing is much faster than anything else
I've tryed. I am just a little bit dissapointed in local write, but
this is normal as everything is done over TCP/IP socket.

Nevertheless, there is one more thing. All my clients are written in
the same (C) language. I tryed to use Java on one of machines, but
as the memcached just stores a byte array and the data representations
are not always the same, I've had some troubles.

Regards,
Jure