PHP Daemon marks Memcache as failed every few days

Brian Moon brianm at dealnews.com
Wed May 23 14:33:32 UTC 2007

Iain Bapty wrote:
> Unless anyone knows of anyway of changing the 'max bucket size', I'll
> look to modify the class instances to store less data. I'll also
> experiment with the ZLib compression to see if this resolves this
> issue without adding too much of an overhead.

My tests have shown that if you can reduce the size of the data, the
time saved in network traffic for moving smaller objects is well worth
the tiny amount of cpu to compress and uncompress the data.  We deal
with about 300k chunks of HTML.  I thought that maybe I could speed it
up if I skipped compressions.  I found the opposite to be true.  Not
sure about the gz libraries in Java.  But in PHP they are smoking fast.

--

Brian Moon
Senior Developer