Large lists

J A pcdwho at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 07:32:14 UTC 2007

I have a fairly large members list that I want to keep in memcache.  What I
do with this list is query it against particular user IDs to see if they are
a member of that list or not.  If they are they get certain priviledges.

The problem is, this list has gotten to the point of saturating the PHP's
memory when fetching the MySQL query the first time.

Is there a way to do this more effectively, for instance, partitioning the
list into separate smaller lists, grouped by time of login?  I'm thinking of
this, as users who have logged in in the past 3 months are more likely to be
in the list anyway.