'noreply' over the wire

Steven Grimm sgrimm at facebook.com
Sun Nov 11 18:43:47 UTC 2007

On Nov 11, 2007, at 10:39 AM, Iain Wade wrote:
> I haven't read the patches so can't comment on them, but sure, I do
> some bulk updates (500k every 5 min) using a dodgy bit of code that
> would benefit from a noreply feature.

For that use case, which would you prefer?

1. A noreply option on a per-command basis (the proposed change)
2. A single command to suppress all replies and another command to
turn them on again (e.g., "silent on" and "silent off" commands)

It seems like #2 would be better suited to that use case since, if I
understand you correctly, you're throwing away replies in bulk at the
moment. Or do you want to mix ignoring replies and paying attention to
them?

-Steve