Alternative Binary Protocol idea for memcached.

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Wed Feb 20 07:14:46 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008, at 22:20, Clint Webb wrote:

> I know a considerable amount of thought and work has gone into the
> existing flavour of the binary protocol, and I dont expect that work
> to be discarded, I'm really only mentioning this new concept now as
> an alternative for the future if we ever find the current binary
> protocol to be too restrictive and inflexible.  And something to
> think about, or even use elsewhere.

	The is certainly interesting.  The first step of doing the binary
protocol implementation was to create a change that allowed multiple
protocols to coexist.  It would be possible to implement this to run
in parallel with the existing protocols in the 1.3 codebase.

	Intuitively, it doesn't seem as efficient to process as what we've
got now, but I like being proven wrong, so I'd welcome another front-
end protocol.  :)

	Of course, I wrote the majority of the current binary protocol code
about six months ago, so I'd really like to at least have one in more
people's hands.

--
Dustin Sallings