addServer Minimum timeout

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Mon Jun 23 21:38:01 UTC 2008

We get a lot of these reports (almost solely with php clients?). However
it's not entirely clear where the problem is.

Anyone want to volunteer to add better instrumentation into the php
clients, or do some work help add to the wiki FAQ on troubleshooting
these issues?

Benjamin, when you get the timeouts, is it just one or two specific
requests that time out, or do *no* requests work for 500ms-1000ms from
any client?

If it's not that exact problem, it's either a weird connect bug in
memcached, soemthing between the client and the server, or a bug in the
client itself. I know the client's had a number of bugs, so if you're
using pecl/memcache, please upgrade to the latest stable and try again.

Are you running 'stats sizes' or any other oddball commands routinely?
'stats sizes' can pause your cache up to several seconds.

I've chased down a few of these with posters without a huge amount of luck:
- Sometimes there weren't enough fd's available to the instance or the
client.
- Sometimes a firewall was in the way which would drop connection
packets (most common problem).
- Old pecl/memcache client.

-Dormando