memcached udp datagram size and noreply option support

Erik Ljungstrom erik at ibiblio.org
Sun May 4 00:50:26 UTC 2008

Hi,

The MTU is normally set on your network interfaces (and possibly
subsequent network devices depending on your setup) rather than in
individual applications. How you do it obviously depends on what OS
you're running. On Linux, *BSD and Solaris you'd typically do:
ifconfig [interface] mtu [value] where value is the maximum number of
bytes which can be sent in one go through that interface. So the
default 1500 means that packets will be fragmented if they exceed 1500
bytes.

I do however recommend that you do a bit of research to avoid negative
surprises such as upstream devices refusing to deal with too large
units etc!

Cheers,
Erik