new file hanging? -- solution

Brandon Ooi brandon at hotornot.com
Wed Aug 24 15:16:06 PDT 2005

Hi guys,

Great it works! thanks to Juan, Brad, Jason and Justin for all their help.

Problems I encountered.

1) Redefining $/ in a global way seems to cause problems with Perlbal
internals. Solution is to local scope it.
2) The 'dev' directories in /var/mogdata need to be created manually.
3) Linux::AIO seems to cause problems. Building Perlbal with IO::AIO
seems to work (or just without Linux::AIO present)
4) Also requires mogstored to be built with IO::AIO. The mogstored
version 1.00 requres Linux::AIO. the mogstored in CVS has an abstraction
layer built in.

If we do use this in production, i'll be sure to write some
documentation on how to get it all to work. the current documentation
doesn't do it justice ;)

A few side questions:

1) Juan mentioned that we should be using Perlbal 1.36 until 1.40
arrives. In general, are there "stable" versions of this software?
(perlbal, mogstored, mogilefsd)
2) Can the /var/mogdata/devX directories be symlinks to different
devices and/or filesystems?

Thanks!

Brandon