replication policy when adding new node

Mark Smith junior at danga.com
Thu Oct 12 09:24:27 UTC 2006

> I was wondering what would happen when adding a new storage node to
> mogileFS but leaving the replica count like it is. Will mogileFS start
> balancing the files on the old nodes to the new one so that you end up
> with the same disk usage on all nodes?

No, it does not at this time.

> If not I was thinking about increasing the relpica count so files get
> copied over to the new node and then decrease it again (which hopefully
> triggers a delete job that gets rid of files balanced across all
> machines till the replica count is reached).

That's a valid way of spreading the load (we've used it before) but it
doesn't go back and retroactively remove extra copies.

A rebalancer is something we want, but hasn't been done yet.  We've got
most of the infrastructure required to support it built in 2.0 what with
the replication policies etc, but it hasn't been done yet.

--
Mark Smith
junior at danga.com