"Streaming" FLV through MogileFS

Eric Lambrecht eml at guba.com
Fri Apr 13 21:29:12 UTC 2007

dormando wrote:
> I bet the Guba folks have done this :) I'm suddenly tasked with making
> our MogileFS setup support 'seeking' through FLV files similar to how
> lighttpd does it: http://jan.kneschke.de/projects/flv-streaming/

you would be correct. ;-)

> Has anyone gotten this working already? Any tips on how to handle
> 'streaming' huge files to flash clients without running them out of
> memory, or setting up an FMS cluster? :(

Here's another reference to basically the same thing:

http://www.flashcomguru.com/index.cfm/2005/11/2/Streaming-flv-video-via-PHP-take-two

We've got a perlbal in front of our web servers that proxy out mogile
content. We made an update to perlbal so that if a cgi script returns an
'X-REPROXY-FLV-START' header to perlbal (in addition to the
'X-REPROXY-URL' header that points to the actual video in mogile),
perlbal makes a partial GET request against the backend mogile server
(lighttpd, in this case), and prefixes the response back to the client
with the 13 byte FLV header information.

Eric...