Data splitting

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Mon Aug 6 14:27:49 UTC 2007

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, drpr0ctologist at gmail.com wrote:

> > You don't want to expose to your users where the files are really
> > stored - that's an internal detail.
> >
> > Just do it as img.domain.com (or really better as img.domain.net or
> > some other domain that doesn't get cookies from your main site).
> >
> > You can make perlbal talk to your tracker and then serve the files
> > from the appropriate file server.
>

> How do I get Perlbal to talk to my tracker? I see the Perlbal site, but
> don't see any references on how to them them talk.

Perlbal talks to your webserver, then your webserver talks to your tracker
(mogilefsd) or memcached (which has the results of get_paths), and your
webserver replies to Perlbal with the locations of the files in MogileFS
mogstored node(s), optionally telling Perlbal to cache that mapping
internally (Perlbal can internally cache a URL -> @locations for 'n'
seconds).

See:
    http://danga.com/words/2007_06_usenix/