mogdbsetup with database on different server

Justin H. Brehm jbrehm at broadwick.com
Sat Dec 1 14:37:57 UTC 2007

Are you trying to connect as the user 'root' to your mysql database? For security reasons that account is usually restricted to connections from 'localhost' only.

-- Justin

This is an initial install, and I need to configure the database schema, but the database server is on a different host. I am attempting to run mogdbsetup as:
$ mogdbsetup --dbhost=db1 --dbname=xx --dbuser=xx --dbpassword=xx --dbrootuser=xx --dbrootpass=xx --yes
But the error I'm getting out is:
Failed to connect to DBI:mysql:mogielfs;host=db1 as specified root user: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Even though it's told to connect on an external host, it's trying to connecut through the local socket (which doesn't exist since mysqld is not running locally).

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Or did I find a minor bug in mogdbsetup ?