disk monitoring

Jared Klett jared at blip.tv
Tue May 1 17:23:34 UTC 2007

	so far I've built all our MogileFS nodes with 3ware/AMCC
controllers (we were using RAID-5 before Mogile) which do a great job of
monitoring disks on a regular basis and sending e-mail notification when
anything from a bad sector is detected to an entire drive failing.

	the downside is that when a drive *does* fail and the drive is
replaced, the 3ware controller doesn't keep its internal unit IDs
consistent, which then in turn causes devices in Linux to change, i.e.
/dev/sdc fails and now /dev/sdd shifts to become /dev/sdc, which
requires extremely careful manual remounting at the Mogile mount points.

	hope that makes sense... if anyone has a solution to avoid that,
please let me know. :)

	anyway, in the past I've used homegrown scripts to do things
like write a temporary file to the device to be checked, make sure the
file exists, and send an alert e-mail if a problem arises during those
operations.

cheers,

- Jared

--