MogileFS vs other distributed filesystems

Jerker Nyberg jerker at Update.UU.SE
Sat Nov 10 22:06:06 UTC 2007

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Jordan Mendler wrote:

Hello,

> Perhaps someone could provide some insight and talk
> about the major differences between some of these different options.

I have tried to characterise some of the distributed ones here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_systems

> * Oracle OCFS2

Shared disk file system. (Need direct block level access to shared
storage, over SAN or SCSI etc.)

> * Lustre

Parallel and distributed, but not in itself fault tolerant.

> * MogileFS

Distributed, fault tolerant, flat namespace, database for
metadata, not POSIX, application level, HTTP for transport. (Please
correct me.)

> * GlusterFS

Parallel distributed fault tolerant file system.

> * Hadoop

I don't know much about it, but the Hadoop Distributed File System is
supposed to be a GoogleFS clone in development.

> * Cleversafe

I don't know anyting about it.

> * Parallel Virtual File System (seems to lack redundancy if I am not
> mistaken)

Parallel distributed file system. Not fault tolerant in itself.

> Thanks so much,

You're welcome.

Regards,
Jerker Nyberg.