Folders and duplicate file names

Travis Boucher tbone at nexopia.com
Sat Sep 8 10:18:36 UTC 2007

drpr0ctologist at gmail.com wrote:

>     (Someone else has a better answer for this, but I couldn't find it
>     quickly in the archives...)
>
>     Check out the 'filespaths' plugin. I haven't used it personally, but
>     it's supposed to make "directory structures" easier to work with.
>
>     Mostly I just make the key look like a path, ie:
>
>     /user1/filename.blah
>     /user2/filename.blah
>
>     ... and you can manage the collections in your application, or use the
>     'listkeys' feature. Lots of options, none too terrible.
>
> Awesome!
>
> Another question. Is it better to separate images to a subdomain such
> as img.site.com <http://img.site.com> or is it ok to leave it in the
> original domain like www.site.com <http://www.site.com> ?  I see that
> Livejournal.com <http://Livejournal.com> is using the
> img.livejournal.com <http://img.livejournal.com> subdomain.
>
> Trying to figure out what the advantages/disadvantages there are in both.

Browsers will only make a limited number of HTTP connections to a
specific host.  By using multiple hostnames, you increase the number of
concurrent connections a browser will make.  It is also useful to
seperate static content from dynamic content because dynamic content
servers typically are heavy weight (Apache w/mod_perl or mod_php)
compared to static content servers (lighttpd, nginx, etc).