hot swappable SATA controllers for Linux

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Wed Sep 19 06:47:51 UTC 2007

On Sep 18, 2007, at 1:06 PM, Lance Boomerang wrote:

> I am looking to build out a fairly dense setup with nodes having 8
> or so SATA drive slots for about 6 TB per node.
> Initially plan to have 6 of these nodes.   Obviously at this level
> of density I  need to be able to hot swap a drive if one goes bad.
> I was wondering what folks have seen in terms of real work use of
> various SATA controllers out there.

Aren't most/all SATA controllers hot-swap by now?   Check http://
linux-ata.org/driver-status.html before you buy and you should be in
good shape.   I thought it was part of the SATA spec and the only
controllers that didn't support it was "bridged" PATA controllers.

Typically for MogileFS devices it's a waste of money buying a fancy
SATA controller.  (If you do want one, then the new 3Ware ones are
pretty good - the ones from 3-4 years ago not so much).

  - ask