Input on best practices for serving files

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 20:21:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:47 AM, dormando <dormando at rydia.net> wrote:

>  I'm just thinking of the best way for people to actually get information...
> There're a lot of questions, and if places for the answers are at least
> stubbed out it'll make adding the info later less awkward. I despise wiki's
> that attempt to hide information behind clever hierarchies.
>
>  Or you can do it however you want! We're all free here, you just asked for
> input :)
>
>  -Dormando

Another of my concerns is empty nodes.  If we start from a high level
Store vs Serve overview with contributed recipes, configs and howtos
then the content is there.  It's a done deal.

If we start with a monster TOC (which could be added later) then it
will either need to be a manual, and all the yak shaving that goes
into making one, or it will be a bunch of empty links that aren't
useful to anybody either.

Having said that, I think there's a bit of a compromise:

Table of Contents
 1. Introduction
     1. Components of MogileFS
     2. Storage Overview
     3. Serving Overview
 2. Storage Information
 3. Serving Overview

Then it can expand as we have nodes, there isn't a lot of organization
put into it, and we won't have stale nodes nor a confusion as to where
to look (the manual or the wiki)

-J