New install: mogstored dying, and mogtool problems

Mark Smith smitty at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 19:50:27 UTC 2008

>  Hi Mark, thanks for the reply.  I'm running perl v5.8.0.  The machine is
> Red Hat Linux 8.0 and uname -a looks like:
>  Linux stump 2.4.20-28.8 #1 Thu Dec 18 12:53:39 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386
> GNU/Linux

Ouch!

>  Is it possible that the code is not valid for 5.8.0 but is valid on a newer
> version of perl?  They seemed like real, live mistakes to me but it's
> possible that a newer perl treats them as valid.

Yes!  The code is valid on any suitably modern Perl (5.8.8
recommended, haven't done any testing on 5.10.0 myself but some have?)
and OS (Linux 2.6 minimum, and actually it requires something like
2.6.10 or newer, I forget exactly).

I'd recommend CentOS 5 if you can!

>  I know it's a pretty old OS so upgrading to a more modern CentOS or
> something is definitely an option... I probably put too much trust in the
> "make test" of each module to let me know if something is
> problem/missing/unsupported...

Your problems will mostly be solved by upgrading the system.  (Or at
least we'll have a good common ground to work towards solving them!)

If you can't upgrade, then the Danga tools are probably not the right
tools for you.  :)

--
Mark Smith / xb95
smitty at gmail.com