Encrypting files or chuncks

Niels van Dijk niels.vandijk at surfnet.nl
Thu Jun 12 10:16:57 UTC 2008

Hello list,

Did anyone ever attempt to introduce encryption of files or chuncks of
files? I feel this could be done a for example the class level, so one
can not only define the replication policy, but the level of encryption
as well. Although there would be a performance penalty, it would render
hacking a storage node useless. That would then enable me to use an
almost completely of the shell product of a (commercial) provider as
storage node, and still regain secure solution.
Would this be possible, if so, any suggestions to where in the code
would be a good place to implement this, and what would be the pro's and
con's?

thanks

Niels