About win32 port of perlbal

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed Aug 2 19:49:39 UTC 2006

Martin Atkins wrote:

> I'm kinda hoping that the IO::Poll module, which is present in my
> ActiveState Perl install, will do the trick without sucking. I shall
> investigate further tomorrow, since I don't have time today.

As it turns out, Danga::Socket worked just fine once I upgraded to a
more recent version of ActiveState Perl and installed Sys::Syscall. The
latter correctly picks up that epoll isn't available.

However, I've encountered a small issue. It seems that IO::Socket::INET
won't create a non-blocking listen socket on my Windows XP system here.
It returns the error "no such file or directory". This is true whether
Blocking => 1 is specified in the constructor args or run afterwards
using $sock->blocking(0);.

Anyone have any clue why?

DJabberd (which also uses Danga::Socket) will now run on Windows with
blocking listeners, but Perlbal doesn't like having blocking listeners
and gets stuck when a connection is recieved.

-------

Perlbal also depends on Sys::Syslog and BSD::Resource which aren't
available on Windows, but I've now made them optional (not committed
yet) with the caveat that without them you get no logging in daemon mode
and the performance-related management commands don't work.