Perlbal book -- table of contents

Jay Buffington jaybuffington at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 20:14:31 UTC 2006

On 9/21/06, Brad Fitzpatrick <brad at danga.com> wrote:
> What do you guys want to see explained / documented / walked-through
> better?

When I tell people we use "perlbal" I get funny looks.  A book would
really help with legitimacy.

I'd like to see a section that shows how/where perlbal should plugin
to my infrastructure.  After I read it I'd like to know:

How to spec a Perlbal server
How many processes per server (SMP)
How many servers
Should I run perlbal on the same server as my squids or apaches?
Is perlbal right for me?  (wikipedia tried it, but it wasn't a good
fit for them).

Maybe it'd be best to explain all these things through case studies?

People keep asking me why there is no access/error log.  I point them
to the /var/log/messages, but that only answers so much.

Raw benchmarks would be nice, too.  They would go along great with
Mike's suggestion of comparing Perlbal to other servers.

btw, I sent you an email asking for the slides from the MogileFS
summit.  Can you send them to me?

Thanks,
Jay