Serving Static Files

Jeremy James jbj at forbidden.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 09:44:16 UTC 2007

Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2007, at 12:39, Can Sar wrote:
>
>> I just installed Perlbal and have it working with the default
>> configuration but I want to figure out how to tell it to serve static
>> files from a different machine (all with the same URL prefix). [...]
>
> Todd mentioned the solution for doing what you asked, but I'd suggest
> that what you really want is to setup a different host (preferably in a
> different domain) to serve the static files.   It's easier to
> logistically have "static files with expiration headers go there" and
> you can make sure there are absolutely no cookies on that domain (for
> caching and faster request goodness).

Quite. My motivation for URLmatch was because we are using Java Applets
to read a wide range of content from a server, and are therefore
restricted to only being able to perform requests to the same hostname.
Seperate host stuff for media seems sensible enough for standard HTML
extra bits (css,js,img).

-jeremy