Perlbal with Tomcat

Adam Jacob adam at hjksolutions.com
Sat Jun 16 15:43:56 UTC 2007

On Jun 1, 2007, at 8:44 AM, Raj Bala wrote:
> I have done some extensive searching, but haven't come to an answer
> as to whether I can use Perlbal in front of Tomcat for load
> balancing and web, etc much like one would use mod_jk, the Apache
> module for Tomcat.

Perlbal is a reverse-proxy HTTP server, so it can load balance
anything that can talk HTTP (including tomcat.)  mod_jk uses the AJP
protocol, which is a binary protocol on the wire (presumably for
speed.)  So you can use Perlbal to front-end a Tomcat instance
running over HTTP, but you can't use Perlbal to talk AJP to Tomcat.

> I have installed Perlbal and have to running in default mode with
> directory browsing, but can't seem to figure out how to serve
> content from my Tomcat application.

I think someone already sent a sample configuration.

Adam