Identity, complemented with an icon?

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Wed Dec 28 17:18:39 UTC 2005

Within XML-VCards -- the version of VCards we use for profile data
representation in LID -- there's an element called PHOTO. I've seen
people use this to point to a photo of themselves.

To get at it from a YADIS environment, do this:
1) take identity URL
2) determine whether it supports the LID Traversal Profile and the
LID VCard profile, and from which URL (let's call that the LIDURL)
3) perform HTTP GET on LIDURL?xpath=/VCARD/PHOTO

On Dec 27, 2005, at 21:11, Christopher Granade wrote:

> Seems like it should be simple to introduce a "favatar" service
> URI, and
> simply list it as being another service offered.
> - --Chris
>
> Jason S wrote:
>> BLAH
>> I didn't mean to ACTUALLY reply into that thread, but clicking
>> reply was
>> the quickest way to get the list address again...
>> Pardon the repost, but it's MUCH better to have these threads
>> seperated,
>> because, uhhh, they deal with different subject matter :P.
>>
>> So, repost ahoy!:
>> I think I may have just stumbled onto an awesome idea to complement
>> 'identities'.
>>
>> I've been reading a lot about Favicons (like the official
>> specifications
>> and the like), and thanks to the wide wide web world of links, I
>> found
>> 'Favatars'.
>> (Note: Some of you may remember 'Gravatars', this is the same
>> thing but
>> decentralized.  Hey, just like OpenID/LID and Passport! :D)
>>
>> The Wikipedia entry for favicons makes mention of a 'favatar'.  It's
>> essentially, YOUR favicon, on someone elses site.
>> What's the big deal?
>> Well... OpenID (and LID, right?) identifies you by a URI, and that
>> URI
>> can (and often does) feature a favicon, either referenced in
>> <link>, or
>> omni-present at /favicon.ico
>>
>> There's a plugin for WordPress where commenters who fill out their
>> 'URL'
>> address get their 16x16 favatar shown on the top right hand side of
>> their comment.
>>
>> As we all (should :D) know, favicons are one of two things:
>> Simply a favicon.ico file in your web root, or <link>'ed too, much
>> like
>> openid.server and identity.server  :-D !
>>
>> It doesn't need to be a part of the spec, but a small mention of
>> it on
>> the openid.net/specs.bml page (perhaps this applies to LID and YADIS
>> too?) would be really cool in my opinion.
>> (Much in the same way that the form name doesn't HAVE to be
>> openid_url,
>> but it makes things easier and more convenient to users).
>> Just a suggestion for designers to 'sniff' out a favicon and use
>> it on
>> the site wherever desired (IF desired!).
>>
>> Thanks  :-) .
>>
>> Oh, and Happy Holidays folks.  I'm only posting this because I'm
>> stuck
>> at work!  :-)

Johannes Ernst