Time for feedback

Joaquin Miller joaquin at netmesh.us
Wed Dec 28 18:02:19 UTC 2005

I'm quite content to chuck 'citizen.'  (The biggest problem is
probably: Too cute.)

The same problem of implying a human comes with 'user' and certainly
with 'person.'

For 'party' I'd like to stick with the X.911 standard.
http://www.joaquin.net/ODP/DIS_15414_X.911.pdf

For me, 'entity' always suggests horror films.  In any case, it is
probably best reserved as one of the most general terms; fancy for 'thing.'
http://www.joaquin.net/ODP/Part2/6.html#6.1
There is also a clash with 'entity' in HTTP.
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec7.html#sec7

I might go for 'agent' in the sense found in 'user-agent.'
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec1.html#sec1 at 1.3.
e.g.
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.43

'Agent' is consistent with X.911 Clause 6.5.7.
http://www.joaquin.net/ODP/DIS_15414_X.911.pdf at 6.5.7

If we use 'agent,' then we are talking about the program that submits
an earlier request that led to the initiation of the YADIS protocol.

In the classic YADIS case of human using browser, the entity making
the requests in the YADIS protocol is not that browser nor that human
user.  It is some entity that has received a request delivered by
that browser, which request included a YADIS ID, and is using the
YADIS protocol as an initial step in confirming that the request was
initiated or authorized by the human owning that YADIS ID.

The agent is then that browser.  Fits perfectly with HTTP 'user-agent.'

And fits with cases involving robots or other machines not acting on
instructions of a human.