https:// urls as openid servers and/or identities?

Mr Allwyn Fernandes afyadis at stobor.net
Fri Jul 22 01:07:28 PDT 2005

Hi,

I've been playing around with Taral's PHP OpenID server (with nandhp's
improvements), and it seems to show up a limitation in the implementations of
OpenID on LifeWiki, LiveJournal, and the Danga Demo page
(http://www.danga.com/openid/demo/demo.html) which bothers me somewhat...

It appears that these sites (the only ones I've tried so far) cannot use
secure pages as OpenID servers...

Both LifeWiki and LiveJournal seem to be fine with https:// identities; they
give different errors for https://stobor.net/test/fred.html [No openid server
declared] and https://stobor.net/test/bob.html [openid server
https://stobor.net/test/index.php]

The Danga demo page is different in that it reports "bogus_url" for both those
identity pages (same behaviour for classic and AJAX), which leads me to
suspect that it doesn't support https:// identities...

One notable point is that LifeWiki actually gives slightly informative
messages from perl:

Using bob.html, I get
The following errors occurred with your submission:
* unable to determine claimed identity: url_fetch_error: Error fetching URL:
Can't locate Net/SSL.pm in @INC)
* unable to determine OpenID verification URL

With fred.html, I get
The following errors occurred with your submission:
* unable to determine claimed identity: url_fetch_error: Error fetching URL:
Can't locate object method "new" via package
"LWPx::Protocol::https_paranoid::Socket"
* unable to determine OpenID verification URL

That complaint about Net/SSL.pm seems strange, given that it can apparently
read the SSL page to extract the server name...

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? (I don't have an http:// url I can mess
with handy - I'll check that out soon, though.) Or is it simply a matter of
fact that consumers don't do https:// and I have to live with it? It seems to
me that an authentication system would want to be at least potentially
secure, even if it's not widely used that way...

Cheers,

Allwyn.

--
Allwyn Fernandes