OpenID status update

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Fri Jun 3 10:06:03 PDT 2005

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Kurt Raschke wrote:

> TypeKey, for example.  There is a version field in the TypeKey
> protocol, precisely so that servers know what version of the protocol
> clients can handle and can respond appropriately.

Ah, but TypeKey didn't add a version number until 1.1.  The initial
version (1.0) is implied.

And HTTP/0.9 is implied.

And SMTP instead of ESMTP is implied (and ESMTP does capabilities).

IMAP does capabilities.

etc.

I've never seen a major/minor versioning system work.  As I said before,
HTTP's never done a major rev, and clients can't do 1.1 stuff on initial
requests because they're not sure what the server can do (and recently
some phones are starting to do 1.1 stuff like chunked POSTs on upload, but
1.0 proxies/servers are breaking receiving it....)  SSH tried to do
major/minor, but servers ended up advertising 1.9999 to mean "I can do 1.x
-and- 2.x!"

So I'm for leaving versioning out in the initial version until we know
what we need to signal.  I suspect it'll be more like capabilities, rather
than a major/minor.

- Brad